Try this recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana with Vodka Sauce submitted to our Recipe Challenge 2014 by Jessica Watts!
1/2 cup butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup vodka
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 pint heavy cream
1 tb sugar
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup flour
2 tb olive oil
1.5 cups vodka sauce (refrigerate or freeze remaining sauce for to use with another dish or to make recipe again)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute garlic in butter until slightly browned. Add onion and saute until slightly soft.
2. Pour in vodka and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Mix in crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, sugar and salt and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Pour in heavy cream and cook for another 30 minutes.
5. Reserve about 1.5 cups of sauce for Eggplant Parmigiana. Refrigerate or freeze the rest for later.
1. Wash and peel eggplant. Cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.
2. Combine egg and 1 tb water. Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, then into flour coating both sides.
3. In a large skillet, cook eggplant in hot oil 4-6 minutes, turning once, until golden.
4. In a large baking dish, place cooked eggplant slices in a single layer. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top with vodka sauce and mozzarella cheese
5. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.